Saturday, January 28, 2012

How I Came Out To My Family

2009 nung mag-out ako sa mga kaibigan ko. I've blogged about the first few times I came out to friends, but I never really had the chance to write about how I came out to my parents.

Although I think my older brother already had a clue about my sexuality, I never really confirmed to him, even denied, na berde ang kulay ng dugo ko, tulad ng kulay ng blog na ito.
For a refresher, Click here.

Since birth, ako na ang ulirang anak. Hindi ko sinuway ang anumang utos ng aking mga magulang. They never really had a problem raising me as a child. May medalya sila tuwing March courtesy of me. Hindi ako sumali ng sorrority fraternity kahit bountiful sila sa kinalakihan ko dito sa ghetto. Although I admit that I gave in to some peer pressure. Kung si Erich ay nabuntis nung katorse siya, natuto akong manigarilyo sa edad na ito. Teen angst maybe. But other than that, I grew up well mannered. Thanks to my family's conservative catholic upbringing

Since I was already out to some friends. It was a matter of time, I guess, that I come out of the closet to my family.

That time came. December 31st 2009. I guess the date was appropriate, the dawn of a new era kumbaga. Magiging isa na akong free paru-paro. But the strength I could muster was only to write a letter to mudrakels.

That night I had to work kase nga isa akong call center agent. So, I left the note somewhere in the house. That night too, I decided to bring with me my backpack with some clothes because I'd be moving to Baguio "permanently".

Naalala ko pa yung kabog ng dibdib ko pati na yung pawis na dumadaloy sa pasmado kong kamay.

Nay, alis na po ako.

Siguro napansin ni nanay na out of the ordinary ang paalam ko kaya nakita niya agad siguro yung sulat sa ilalim ng tapete ng TV stand.

Mahaba-haba din yung sulat pero the gist was:

Dear nanay,

Bading po ako at enclosed sa sulat na ito ang 1x1 picture ng jowa ko.

Love,
Mark



Nasaan na kaya yung sulat?

3 comments:

  1. but of course!hehe! salamat sa pagbisita at pagkocomment!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very courageous act.. In our parents side, they know our situation, but with their unconditional love and respect for us, they won't bother to question our sexuality. . Ika nga nga dakilang ama ko, "kung bakla man ang anak ko, tagap ko xa ng buong-buo, papano yan tatangapin ng publiko kung hindi xa tangap ng kanyang pamilya.."
    I've been proud for who am I same as my parents. .

    ReplyDelete

reactions?